Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HTPC Setup Advice - Using NAS soley?
Evening,

I've been using Usenet for a good few years now and tend to manually kick downloads off myself every evening or whenever I think about it.  As of late I've found more and more shows are being pulled within 24 hours of posting and if I miss them I end up having to torrent them (which I hate to do).

I've read a couple articles lately about Sickbeard, CouchPotato, etc and am thinking about investing in a decent NAS (Synology or QNAP I hear are great).  What I'm trying to establish is can I run all this software on the NAS itself and then just use something like Kodi on my Amazon Fire TV (or any other device on the network) to browse the shows & movies or would I be better suited having a single device do all of it (download and view)?

Ideally I'd like to be able to stick my NAS out of site and have it connected to the network either via PowerLines or directly to Router and then use some other device to actually watch the content.  I'm not keen on the idea of having a single device by the TV always turned on and always making noise.

Is this doable?  I've seen articles referring to installing the software onto a Synology NAS but not much about how well it works in terms of downloading, extracting, etc.

Any help or advice you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Dan
You are spot on with the Usenet trend. With respect a NAS, I have heard good things with Synology. You can install the Synology software on Virtualbox and try installing all the software you want on it. If it functions well then you have the info to decide.

What you are trying to do is certainly possible. I have been thinking about a synology myself. Also, powerline technology has improved greatly. However, it would impossible to meet the advertised speeds....just something to keep in mind.

Let me know if you have any further questions.