Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new user website suggestions
Quite frustrated already:
- I have used a 3-character username on all forums for the past 20 years.  Yet your system insists on 4 or more characters.  There's little cache in my being forced to use a new/unknown username because I can't use my well-known 3-letter one
- I signed up, confirmed via email, logged in, logged out, and logged in again.  Yet I can't make any changes to my own profile.  I can't update my photo, put in my birthdate, or make any control panel configuration settings.
- I strongly suggest not using this fancy-looking system for your forum.  People have tried using visually rich but unknown forum systems like this one many times in the past, and they are always a failure, because:
- you need mods to manage sub-forums once things get busy.  Mods will not be forthcoming for an unknown forum system
- you will personally end up spending way too much time making this forum system work, rather than on important matters.  Whenever there's a glitch, you will be on your own to solve the problem.
- users of "standard" forum systems will be alienated immediately by this system.  That just slows down uptake of new users.

Finally, a tip: Don't use "We" if its really just one guy running things.  It would be trying to imply that you have a large organisation, which will dissuade new users from wanting to pitch in and help.  If you're honest and people know that there's only a single guy, or maybe 2 or 3, behind the scenes, they may be more willing to get involved- and they'll be less expectant of fast solutions.
(10-06-2015, 08:03 AM)douginoz Wrote: Quite frustrated already:
- I have used a 3-character username on all forums for the past 20 years.  Yet your system insists on 4 or more characters.  There's little cache in my being forced to use a new/unknown username because I can't use my well-known 3-letter one
Easy fix. I will take care of it.
(10-06-2015, 08:03 AM)douginoz Wrote: - I signed up, confirmed via email, logged in, logged out, and logged in again.  Yet I can't make any changes to my own profile.  I can't update my photo, put in my birthdate, or make any control panel configuration settings.
Not sure why, I had no problem working on my profile (or test profiles). I am working on it. Let me know if you are still having this problem.
(10-06-2015, 08:03 AM)douginoz Wrote: - I strongly suggest not using this fancy-looking system for your forum.  People have tried using visually rich but unknown forum systems like this one many times in the past, and they are always a failure, because:
- you need mods to manage sub-forums once things get busy.  Mods will not be forthcoming for an unknown forum system
- you will personally end up spending way too much time making this forum system work, rather than on important matters.  Whenever there's a glitch, you will be on your own to solve the problem.
- users of "standard" forum systems will be alienated immediately by this system.  That just slows down uptake of new users.
This forum is built on MyBB, which is getting more and more common everyday. May be our theme is a bit different but I would not call it an unknown forum system. Can you please elaborate on what about the forum comes across as unknown so I can dig into it?

As for moderation in future, yes, that is a concern. We also looked into self-moderating forums. At this point, they did not seem like an option. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear.

(10-06-2015, 08:03 AM)douginoz Wrote: Finally, a tip: Don't use "We" if its really just one guy running things.  It would be trying to imply that you have a large organisation, which will dissuade new users from wanting to pitch in and help.  If you're honest and people know that there's only a single guy, or maybe 2 or 3, behind the scenes, they may be more willing to get involved- and they'll be less expectant of fast solutions.
Thanks for the tip. Yes, we are not a big organization and only have 2-3 active guys right now. Could you please point out where it says "We"?

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you want to change your username.
Your comment highlighted a few bugs. Thanks. I have temporarily switched to the default theme. You should be able to edit your profile now.
Here are the instructions to edit your profile: http://forum.htpcbeginner.com/showthread.php?tid=49
Hello,

As the activity in this thread has stopped, I will be closing it. If you have more suggestions in the future, please feel free to open a new thread.

Thank you!