Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing OpenElec config.txt in GUI
I have a Pi 3 running OpenElec, and it works really well, except with a few large mkv files it was stuttering. So I read elsewhere online that the Pi doesn't come with native support for decoding MPEG-2 and VC-1 files, and all the files I'm having trouble with come from A) BluRay discs I ripped using MakeMKV, and 2) use the video codecs which require the decoding license. For those files using those codecs which came from DVDs (not BluRays), the decoding works fine without overclocking.

So I went to http://www.raspberrypi.com (yes, you have to type the "www.") and I bought the two codec licenses, which arrived 20 minutes after I placed the order.

I have a NOOBS drive in my Pi 3. While booting, if I hold down the shift key, I get the distribution menu and from there I can choose from about six different distros. I use OpenElec because all I'm doing with my Pi is using it for streaming off a NAS (all other duties I handle through a Roku 3, since the Roku 3 doesn't support uncompressed media). On that distro selection menu, if I highlight OpenElec, it says I can edit the config.txt file. So when I select that button, a config.txt file pops up, and I can see overclock settings, over-volt settings, and the place where I enter my licence keys for MPEG and VC1. I did that, and saved the file. Then I booted back into OpenElec.

The large files still stutter. So I rebooted the Pi, held the shift key down, and went back to the distro selection menu. The config.txt file reverted back to its original state.

I read somewhere else online that one needs to mount the FAT32 partition of the sd card, and to do that one needs to enable SSH and telnet into the file using Putty (if Windows). I'm doing something wrong, or the instructions were written poorly. Very complicated.

So I found this: http://www.htpcbeginner.com/edit-openele...fig-addon/ which Anand kindly posted a while back. It looks like the perfect solution, which allows the user to edit the config.txt file for entering codec licenses without the need to leave OpenElec's GUI.

Here's the problem - I don't see the .zip file anywhere, and I thought I saved it onto the sd card. I think the problem for me comes from Anand's comment "download the Leapold Kodi repository and save it to a known location." So for someone using a NOOBS sd card, what is the best way to save the zip file to a "known location" where the OpenElec add-on can find it, and successfully update the config.txt file for the codec licenses?

Thanks.
Hello, thanks for commenting. What about downloading the file to the root of an USB drive and using that? Would it work?
(04-15-2016, 01:44 PM)Alejandro Wrote: Hello, thanks for commenting. What about downloading the file to the root of an USB drive and using that? Would it work?

I went with OSMC instead. OSMC has an interface within the GUI for entering the MPEG & VC-1 codecs already built-in, so I just used that. Moreover, on the RPi 3, Kodi performance is pretty much the same as it is with OpenElec thanks to version 3's additional horsepower (+300 MHz, I think). I'm using Kodi via my TV's remote control CEC capability, so I like to avoid keyboards and command lines as much as possible and just stick to the GUI.

It's been a few weeks now and it is running smooth as glass, although it did take some finagling to get Kodi to use my Synology NAS effectively with the Universal Movie Scraper. After a lot of frustration and searching, the scrapers don't work if Kodi is told to get the files via the UPnP protocol (although Kodi will still work fine via UPnP without the scrapers using normal file serving protocols). So I had to dive into DSM and setup my NAS for NFS, and now the scrapers work beautifully. So hopefully this helps anyone else struggling with the same problems.
Hello, thanks for letting us know about your experience.
(03-29-2016, 02:16 PM)doggerdog Wrote: I have a Pi 3 running OpenElec, and it works really well, except with a few large mkv files it was stuttering. So I read elsewhere online that the Pi doesn't come with native support for decoding MPEG-2 and VC-1 files, and all the files I'm having trouble with come from A) BluRay discs I ripped using MakeMKV, and 2) use the video codecs which require the decoding license. For those files using those codecs which came from DVDs (not BluRays), the decoding works fine without overclocking.

So I went to http://www.raspberrypi.com (yes, you have to type the "www.") and I bought the two codec licenses, which arrived 20 minutes after I placed the order.

I have a NOOBS drive in my Pi 3. While booting, if I hold down the shift key, I get the distribution menu and from there I can choose from about six different distros. I use OpenElec because all I'm doing with my Pi is using it for streaming off a NAS (all other duties I handle through a Roku 3, since the Roku 3 doesn't support uncompressed media). On that distro selection menu, if I highlight OpenElec, it says I can edit the config.txt file. So when I select that button, a config.txt file pops up, and I can see overclock settings, over-volt settings, and the place where I enter my licence keys for MPEG and VC1. I did that, and saved the file. Then I booted back into OpenElec.

The large files still stutter. So I rebooted the Pi, held the shift key down, and went back to the distro selection menu. The config.txt file reverted back to its original state.

I read somewhere else online that one needs to mount the FAT32 partition of the sd card, and to do that one needs to enable SSH and telnet into the file using Putty (if Windows). I'm doing something wrong, or the instructions were written poorly. Very complicated.

So I found this: http://www.htpcbeginner.com/edit-openele...fig-addon/ which Anand kindly posted a while back. It looks like the perfect solution, which allows the user to edit the config.txt file for entering codec licenses without the need to leave OpenElec's GUI.

Here's the problem - I don't see the .zip file anywhere, and I thought I saved it onto the sd card. I think the problem for me comes from Anand's comment "download the Leapold Kodi repository and save it to a known location." So for someone using a NOOBS sd card, what is the best way to save the zip file to a "known location" where the OpenElec add-on can find it, and successfully update the config.txt file for the codec licenses?

Thanks.

Once you have OpenElec running...and IF you are familiar with SSH (putty) and using a command line interface...you can do the following to permanently modify the config.txt file.

Open a terminal on your PC using a program like "putty" or just a "terminal" on a Mac (OS X).

> ssh root@192.168.x.x       # replace 192.168.x.x with the real IP of your Pi3
>                                       # you'll be prompted to accept the ssh key 
> password:                       # you'l be prompted for root's password...the default password is  openelec 

> mount -o remount,rw /flash
> cd /flash
> nano config.txt                 # move down to where the encoder section is...enter your keys
                                         # when you are done editing enter the following keystrokes
                                         # CTRL-X   (to exit)
                                         # select "y" (yes) to save your edits

> mount -o remount,ro /flash
> reboot

That usually works.
(09-19-2016, 04:56 AM)lotsacaffeine Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 02:16 PM)doggerdog Wrote: I have a Pi 3 running OpenElec, and it works really well, except with a few large mkv files it was stuttering. So I read elsewhere online that the Pi doesn't come with native support for decoding MPEG-2 and VC-1 files, and all the files I'm having trouble with come from A) BluRay discs I ripped using MakeMKV, and 2) use the video codecs which require the decoding license. For those files using those codecs which came from DVDs (not BluRays), the decoding works fine without overclocking.

Thanks.

Once you have OpenElec running...and IF you are familiar with SSH (putty) and using a command line interface...you can do the following to permanently modify the config.txt file.

Open a terminal on your PC using a program like "putty" or just a "terminal" on a Mac (OS X).

> ssh root@192.168.x.x       # replace 192.168.x.x with the real IP of your Pi3
>                                       # you'll be prompted to accept the ssh key 
> password:                       # you'l be prompted for root's password...the default password is  openelec 

> mount -o remount,rw /flash
> cd /flash
> nano config.txt                 # move down to where the encoder section is...enter your keys
                                         # when you are done editing enter the following keystrokes
                                         # CTRL-X   (to exit)
                                         # select "y" (yes) to save your edits

> mount -o remount,ro /flash
> reboot

That usually works.

Thanks. It's been a while and since then I went to OSMC, which allows the user to input the codec licenses from the GUI, so I'm all set now. Thanks.