Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing between raspi 3 firetv2 or mini pc
Hello, I'm looking to set up a new streaming box in my house and I am looking for some advice.  I have the option of other getting a raspi 3, a firetv 2, or a j1800 nuc with windows 10.  I a wondering what would be better for streaming 1080p h.264 from my nas as well as retro emulation possibly up to dreamcast or psp. I'm tempted to go with the firetv because of the gpu but I'm not sure. What are every bodies thoughts? Thanx
Hello,

I would also say Fire TV 2, mostly because of the support you would get from Amazon as well as the huge online community using it. The GPU is also a plus point, specially if you want to use it for emulation.
(03-17-2016, 03:09 AM)Telsaman Wrote: Hello, I'm looking to set up a new streaming box in my house and I am looking for some advice.  I have the option of other getting a raspi 3, a firetv 2, or a j1800 nuc with windows 10.  I a wondering what would be better for streaming 1080p h.264 from my nas as well as retro emulation possibly up to dreamcast or psp. I'm tempted to go with the firetv because of the gpu but I'm not sure. What are every bodies thoughts? Thanx

I'm pretty new to all this, but if you're sure all your video is h.264, you can't go wrong with any of those options, though personally I'd go with the NUC because of its versatility as a full-fledged PC. If 4K is anywhere in your future, the Raspberry Pi might be a problem. I'm not sure if the NUC can handle 4K, but I'm presuming it can. The Fire TV 2 boasts 4K capabilities, so I'd put that in second place behind the NUC.

Just my two Lincolns.