Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[problem] Tech question for setting up plex with a new KODI
Hello please help an old man out. I am wanting to add a HTPC TV Box to my new 4k ultra HD TV. I have a huge media library on a 3 TB hard drive running on Plex media server from my current PC on a home network using the the netgear nighthawk x6 router. I am looking at the [size=large][font=Arial, sans-serif]Bros Unite M8S TV Box Amlogic S812 Quad Core Fully loaded Add-ons with KODI 15.2 Cloud TV H.265 Airplay Miracast 3D Blu-ray 4K Stream media player Smart HTPC TV BOX 2G/8G. I know I can install pleXBMC to run plex on the KODI OS. My only question is this, will I be able to plug into the USB on the TV Box my 3T hard drive and play it directly from the KODI Box to my HDTV using HDMI? By doing this will I effectively eliminate lag when home network is bogged down by kids, wife, and family dog all surfing the net at the same time? I know this seems like a simplistic question I am sure it is but hey I did say I was old. We are easily confused. I thank you for your help. Oh by the way if you have a better TV Box suggestion under $150 I am all ears!![/font][/size]
Hello, jmcalaster, and welcome to our HTPCBeginner Support Forums

There are many parts to your question so I will break it down into several answers:

will I be able to plug into the USB on the TV Box my 3T hard drive and play it directly from the KODI Box to my HDTV using HDMI?
Yes, indeed. But first, I would like to know: is your HDD an external hard drive? If it's an external hard drive, you can plug it in without issues. If it's an internal hard drive, it won't have USB ports directly, and in this case you have to get a docking station/HDD case, to turn the internal disk into some sort of external HDD with USB capabilities.

If your HDD has USB connection, then you will see it as a removable disk on Android, typically on:
Quote:/Removable/USBdisk1/

Or a similar filepath.

By doing this will I effectively eliminate lag when home network is bogged down by kids, wife, and family dog all surfing the net at the same time?
-Yes, by playing media in this way, you move from a networked media center to a local media center, the only delay you would experience would be the time taken by your signal to travel through your USB cable (which is virtually zero). Also, you become immune to family members internet usage, at least regarding media playback.

Oh by the way if you have a better TV Box suggestion under $150 I am all ears!!
-We have compiled several lists in this regard. Please take a look at the following posts:
5 best Plex clients in 2015 for your HTPC
5 Best Android media sticks in 2016 for less than $50
5 Best Android media players in 2015 for less than $100

I hope these posts help you make an informed decision!

Regards,
(03-06-2016, 02:12 AM)Alejandro Wrote: Hello, jmcalaster, and welcome to our HTPCBeginner Support Forums

There are many parts to your question so I will break it down into several answers:

will I be able to plug into the USB on the TV Box my 3T hard drive and play it directly from the KODI Box to my HDTV using HDMI?
Yes, indeed. But first, I would like to know: is your HDD an external hard drive? If it's an external hard drive, you can plug it in without issues. If it's an internal hard drive, it won't have USB ports directly, and in this case you have to get a docking station/HDD case, to turn the internal disk into some sort of external HDD with USB capabilities.

If your HDD has USB connection, then you will see it as a removable disk on Android, typically on:
Quote:/Removable/USBdisk1/

Or a similar filepath.

By doing this will I effectively eliminate lag when home network is bogged down by kids, wife, and family dog all surfing the net at the same time?
-Yes, by playing media in this way, you move from a networked media center to a local media center, the only delay you would experience would be the time taken by your signal to travel through your USB cable (which is virtually zero). Also, you become immune to family members internet usage, at least regarding media playback.

Oh by the way if you have a better TV Box suggestion under $150 I am all ears!!
-We have compiled several lists in this regard. Please take a look at the following posts:
5 best Plex clients in 2015 for your HTPC
5 Best Android media sticks in 2016 for less than $50
5 Best Android media players in 2015 for less than $100

I hope these posts help you make an informed decision!

Regards,

This is all perfect!! Yes it is and external HDD I bought just for my media with USB 3.00 supported. Thank you also for the other info I read the article on using PleXBMC with the skin option and that will be my next task when the box arrives! thanks again Great help
Hello, thanks for your positive comments.

As your issue has been resolved, I will be closing this thread. Please feel free to open a new one if you need support with any other issue.

Thanks again,