Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Sickbeard/gear permission
Ok, if you knew how long it has taken me to get to this point you would be amazed! 

Anyway....

I know it is bad form to post multiple questions in a thread but here goes.

*I have api's from two search providers
*I can at least get some cover art (I guess that's what it is called) and an episode list.
*SAB and SG where installed vis atomictoolkit

1.) how long does it usually take for a download to start?
      - active has a green check mark 
      - status says continuing
      - downloads 0/xxx for a very long time
      - its been all night and still nothing

2.) why does SB or SAB create a directory that it cannot write to? 

- after creating episode directory SB cant write to it > error log is asking if I have permission to write to folder 
       - permission is 700
       - after manually changing permissions of directory created to 775, several .jpegs (related to the show) are added and tvshow.nfo is added

3.) side question: who creates the directory anyway?

4.) should I check backlog and recent searches in provider options? error log is fussing about these settings are not being  checked.

5.) what does "re-scan" do?
     - does it just reboot the download?

6.) there will be more questions

A little help PLEASE I have spent DAYS of my vaca setting this thing up, most of it googling in spite of the great info here, and I really want to see it through.

Thanks
1.) how long does it usually take for a download to start?
Depends on several things - frequency of scanning set by you, server retention times, availability of what you are looking for. If all settings are correct then what you are looking for may not be available>     

I have not had this happen before. Not sure what is causing this. Which directory are you talking about? TV show/season folders?

The root directory is created by the user. SB automatically creates TV shows and season folders if post processing is enabled.

4.) should I check backlog and recent searches in provider options? error log is fussing about these settings are not being  checked.
Yes, for each provider in the drop down you will have to check search as well as backlog search.

No rescan, rescans all the files present in the server.

hope this helps for now.
(01-05-2016, 09:49 PM)Anand Wrote: 1.) how long does it usually take for a download to start?
Depends on several things - frequency of scanning set by you, server retention times, availability of what you are looking for. If all settings are correct then what you are looking for may not be available>     

I have not had this happen before. Not sure what is causing this. Which directory are you talking about? TV show/season folders?

The root directory is created by the user. SB automatically creates TV shows and season folders if post processing is enabled.

Yes, for each provider in the drop down you will have to check search as well as backlog search.

No rescan, rescans all the files present in the server.

hope this helps for now.

1.) roger that. Can you suggest something that you know to be available so i can test my settings?

2.)OK for example, I am trying to DL Spongebob Squarepants. SB creates a directory named "SpongeBob SquarePants" in my TV Shows directory (this is what is set up in the categories section of SAB, along with post-processing script) then I get an error about folder permissions and permissions denied, are you sure you can write to this folder, etc.

-The directory I created is literally TV Shows, could the space be the problem? 

3.) check, check

4.) check, check, double check

5.) gotcha

6.) If you can suggest an available DL, we'll know.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. THIS IS A GREAT SITE!
Well a little progress this morning.

3 shows were "snatched" and and in SABnzbd marked as:
  •  retry ...episode data...        Invalid par2 files, cannot verify or repair
  • Completed
  • Completed

Change the file name, a name w/o spaces didn't help.

SB creates show directory like so: dwrx------ root bob 0 Jan 6 09:27 SpongeBob SquarePants
(01-06-2016, 12:34 PM)Marinerdevil Wrote: Well a little progress this morning.

• Completed
  • Completed

SB creates show directory like so: dwrx------ root bob 0 Jan 6 09:27 SpongeBob SquarePants
  • Directory owned by root is definitely a problem. For manually change the ownership of the directory. I also do this on my root media folder that hosts all media files:

Code:
    sudo chown -R user:group mediafolder
    sudo chmod -R 775 user:group mediafolder
    sudo chmod g+s mediafolder
  • What the third command does is: it will make all folders created within the mediafolder to be owned by the owner of the mediafolder. So you will never have permissions issues with any new files or folders created within mediafolder.
    (01-13-2016, 01:12 PM)Anand Wrote:
    (01-06-2016, 12:34 PM)Marinerdevil Wrote: Well a little progress this morning.

• Completed
    • Completed

• Directory owned by root is definitely a problem. For manually change the ownership of the directory. I also do this on my root media folder that hosts all media files:

Code:
    sudo chown -R user:group mediafolder
    sudo chmod -R 775 user:group mediafolder
    sudo chmod g+s mediafolder

• What the third command does is: it will make all folders created within the mediafolder to be owned by the owner of the mediafolder. So you will never have permissions issues with any new files or folders created within mediafolder.
  • Thanks Anand,

But I got it working this weekend.

Sorry I haven't updated this thread. I tried that and it didn't seem to work for me. This doesn't mean I tried it exactly like you laid out or did it correctly. I'm sure your method would have worked just fine.

After days of reading and searching Google. I happened on a thread that echoed your assertion that the folder being owned by root is not going to work. It also seemed that, in my situation, I couldn't change the directories ownership. I think this is because I mounted my mediafolder in the /mnt directory already set up by Ubuntu. Thought that was what it was for.

So, I decided to make a new directory called ~/mediamnt and made sure that user:user owned the folder. I then edited my fstab to mount my mediafolder, which is on a NAS, in the new mediamnt directory i created. All my woes where gone. Everythings works like a champ.

Hope that all made sense.

Also, uninstalled Sickbeard and went with Sonarr. Sickbeard wouldn't send me a confirmation email to sign-up for their forum. So I went with Sonarr, signed up for their forum, now I am good to go. Via atomictoolkit, of course.

Thanks for your help.
    Hello, thanks for letting us know the issue has been resolved. As the problem seems to be fixed by now, I will be closing this thread.

Thanks for reading with us!